The Most precious thing in the world
Once upon a time, there were three young men living in a town. They were inseparable friends who shared the same ideals of life. Each was an accomplished person in his chosen career. The elders of their village saw their friendship and accomplishment as an asset to their community. They usually point them out to others as role models and encourage the young ones to follow in their foot-steps. They were the most eligible and available bachelors in their community and surrounding communities. Need I add that equally beautiful and eligible spinsters were fluttering around them like bee workers in a bee hive. As the days go by society match-makers became marriage pundits and prognosticators as to who was and was not going out with these young men.
What started initially as a rumour soon became established as a fact though not as anybody could have imagined: the three young men fell madly in love with the same young woman.
The elders of the community were in a quandary as to what to do. They had a meeting at the city gates. They decided that: each of the three young men was to be given the same amount of money. Each one was to go anywhere and buy the most wonderful thing in the world. Whichever of them came back with the most wonderful thing in the world would be the one to marry the young woman. The three agreed.
To you the reader is this question: “What is the most wonderful thing in the world?”
The three young friends left town together. Before they separated to search for the most wonderful thing in the world, they agreed to meet at a particular resort in three months to compare notes and head back home together. They separated. After three months they met at the agreed place and compared notes:
- The first one bought a mirror that when you look at it you could see any one, place or thing that you want anywhere in the world instantly.
- The second bought a mat that if you want to get to anywhere in the world, you just step on the mat and you are instantly there!
- The third bought a medicine that if a person is sick, even with advance terminal illness with no known cure, even if the person is at the point of death, if this medicine can but touch the lips of such a one at the point of death, the sick one will be instantly cure of whatever the disease was.
Question for you the reader: “Which of these three bought the most wonderful thing in the world?”
As the young men compared notes one of them said: “let us have a look at this girl we are all in love with. What is she doing now?” They all looked in the mirror bought by one of them. To their horror, they saw the girl was seriously ill. Actually they could see several people milling around with many weeping already.
What to do next?
The three of them quickly stepped on the mat bought by one of them and before you could say “go” they were beside the sick lady. She could no longer swallow and was barely breathing. Quickly, the one who bought the medicine touched her lips with it and she was instantly cured. Everybody was in twenty heaven because the sick lady was saved from death. However the elders where still in a dilemma as to “which of the three young men bought the most wonderful thing?”
So I put the question to you the reader: “Which of these three young men bought the most wonderful thing in the world and should marry this young woman?”
While you ponder that story, note that there are some similarities between this story and the plan of God for man.
Similar to the young woman in this story, the human race is incurably sick unto death because of sin. Man cannot cure or save himself. Though incurable by anything man can produce, God has made provision for sin to be cured.
- The medicine is not available to be bought with money like in this story. The cost has been met by another so it is available free to all who will accept it. The one who has made the whole thing possible is the true and only living God. The one true God in three persons. He provided His Son Jesus Christ of Nazareth as the only fitting substitute for all sinners.
- Unlike the three young men in this story, the triune God is in harmony with Himself: God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are one in essence and purpose.
- Like the three young men loved that sick young woman in the story, the triune God loves you and thus has made provision for you while you are still in your sick and lost state to be reconciled with Him.
- Remember: “God is angry with the wicked every day” (Ps 7:11) and “the wicked shall perish” (Ps 37:20).
- This God has no need for a mirror to see for His eyes are all-seeing and nothing can be hidden from them including the thoughts of your heart.
- He has no need for a mat to travel for He is everywhere at all times and there is no hiding place from Him by any of His creatures.
- He has no need for human medicine or invention for He has provided the inestimable precious blood of Jesus Christ as the only potent medicine for the cure of all sins so that even now you at the point of death due to sin can be cured once the blood is applied to your heart by faith.
- You see, Jesus Christ is the propitiation for my sins and your sins and indeed for the sins of all human beings (1John 2:2, 4:10).
- However, the efficacy of that medicine requires that every person act in faith and appropriate the sacrifice of Jesus Christ and thus become reconciled to God through Christ our Saviour and our Lord.
The most precious thing in the world is to be saved by Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
You see, a person’s salvation involves all the three persons in the Godhead (Eph. 1:3-14, 1Pet 1:2). One is saved through the electing grace of God the Father, the loving sacrifice of God the Son and the ministry of conviction and regeneration of God the Holy Spirit.
Do you believe in God? Have you made peace with God?
Remember, the only true God is the God and Father of Our Lord Jesus Christ (Eph. 1:3). Is He the one you believe? For there is no salvation apart from Him (John 14:6; Acts 4:12).
From the Father’s point of view, you were saved when He chose you in Christ before the foundation of the world (Eph. 1:4). From the Son’s point of view, you were saved when He died for you on the cross. From the point of view of the Holy Spirit, you were saved the day He applied the word to your heart and you believed in Jesus Christ as your Saviour and Lord.
The most precious person to a man is the triune God of the Bible. It is very critical that you are truly and genuinely reconciled with Him through His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
If you belong to Christ then your life should now be centred on God and be based on God’s Word alone. You should be committed to faith alone and be devoted to Jesus Christ. And everything in you, and through you and about you and for you and around you should be for and to the glory of the living God.
But if you are still unbelieving, still outside the family of God, don’t delay any further. It is time to make that all-important decision of life and death. Now is the day of salvation. Choose life now by committing to the Lord Jesus Christ (Rom 10:9-10). Without Jesus Christ of Nazareth in your life, hell awaits!
Concerning the story of the three friends and the young woman they loved, the elders made a decision as to which of the three bought the most wonderful thing in the world. It was a decision agreeable to all stake holders. I see you are eager to know. Did I hear you say “I can’t wait to know the answer?”
First let me hear your opinion before I divulge the decision of the elders. Till then ensure you are on the Lord’s side.